Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Weekend Pizza!

On Saturday, I decided to try to create a pizza from some Trader Joe's pizza dough that I bought two months ago (seriously). Don't worry, it was in the freezer and I defrosted it in the fridge the night before. I split the whole wheat pizza dough in half because I didn't have a baking sheet large enough to hold a full-size pizza. This worked out, though, because Jeremy decided to add sausage to his pizza. So we each had our own little pizza.

First, I chopped up the veggies: mushrooms, a bell pepper and spinach.

Then I sliced into small pieces both Spicy Pepper Jack Cheese and New York Chedder. (Jeremy defrosted his Sweet Jamacian sausages, which he got at the Farmer's Market. Yay for local, organic, and free range meat! I'm proud...)
While I was doing this, the dough was resting on the counter with some flour.
I couldn't take a photo of myself tossing the dough for obvious reasons. The first half came out pretty well--it was more of a roundish rectangle than a circle. The second half of the dough was a little trickier. I think I put too much olive oil on it while I was shaping it, which caused it form lots of holes. I managed to get it into a decent shape though. I topped each dough with half a can of diced tomatoes and the toppings. I baked them for 15 minutes at 450 degrees and this is what came out:
my pizza

half of Jeremy's pizza

The pizza turned out really well. The only problem was that the dough in the middle wasn't as baked thoroughly as the rest of the crust. Next time, I'll take Ashley's advice and bake the dough a bit before adding the rest of the toppings. I can't wait to make another--homemade pizza is cheaper and healthier!

1 comment:

  1. That pizza looks bomb digity! Next time I'm at TJ's Im going to buy some dough! Looking at yours is making me salivate!

    ReplyDelete